About: Rita S. Ryan

Follow Artist Rita Ryan's Progress in Clay & Life here click the link below to be re-directed to Rita's Pottery

25.5.06

Glass Half Full

This was graduation week and as I watched one of my best friends shed tears at her daughter’s graduation ceremony I thought to myself, no way I'm crying over this. These kids have it made they are just beginning their lives; their glass is only half full. Then came my turn, I got through my daughters graduation party the day before her actual ceremony patting myself on the back for a job well done, for deep down I believe we all would like to take credit for all the good that our children exhibit. Of course knowing how analytical I can be I stayed away from the balance of what negative aspects I might have passed on to her, that could wait for another day. The party was great; a good time was had by all. Next day was graduation day, I wondered would I get teary eyed as I watched my daughter, my little Pippi, march up and receive her High School Diploma? Would I ball my eyes out later when I knew that she would want to run off with her friends to party after the ceremony and have nothing to do with us? No, not I, a pillar of strength I smiled and enjoyed my understanding of youth. And she the good daughter spent just enough time with us to make us feel comfortable, a picture here, a kiss there, then she and her little white sandals and big pearly smile ran for the exit. It wasn’t until the next day when I sat down to read some of her perfectly worded thank you notes, and I came to the note written to my dear friend Rose, I barely got through the first sentence, and then I read…"you are my family and I thank God for you". That was all it took the tears flowed and I shook, more from relief and disbelief, surely this couldn't be my child, so grateful, graceful and thoughtful. And then again last night at the tennis awards banquet, her coach repeating what I so well knew, that this girl comes to the playing field every day with a smile and grace. So today I thank God for his wisdom and guidance through the years to me as a parent, I know I haven’t gotten everything right, but as a mom I can not help but swell with pride as I look forward to the next 18 years of watching my Pippi grow. Oh and yes, I did cry again all the way home from the banquet as I watched her walk off into the night holding hands blissfully with her boyfriend.