About: Rita S. Ryan

Follow Artist Rita Ryan's Progress in Clay & Life here click the link below to be re-directed to Rita's Pottery

6.12.05

Let's Wrap this year up!

2005 Was a nice calm year for me, seems like everything fell into place nicely, I didn't ruin my kiln shelves with runny glaze until one of my last firings. I bought a wonderful new slab roller for my studio and have been making some truly awesome hand built pottery.

The Farmers market at Los Ranchos was really nice this year we had a few new growers, several new crafters they weather was perfect almost every Saturday and Lavendar Fest was the highlight of the season.

Suprisingly I was offered a deal on a last min. table at Balloon fiesta and I worked really hard to get together some inventory to sell. I invited some potter friends from Yucca gallery to sell at my booth since my inventory was so low and inspite of good weather and fine art all around this just wasn't a good year for selling pottery at fiesta. I did make back my booth fee, but for 9 days and all the work involved I'd have much rather given away my pots. I praised God every day for the wonderful massage thearapists across from my booth and got a nice massage before I started selling each day, when crowds were really slow I pretended I was on vacation I walked every day and took pictures and went shopping on the main drag of the fiesta. I bought a wonderful hammock swing, we now own a half dozen hammocks you can see where my priorities lie.

Yucca Gallery sales were steady this year, in fact the Gallery it's self did so well the artists were rewarded with two months free rent. 2006 will find me as the assistant director at the gallery, I enjoy learning about all the operations of the gallery in another life I would like to own a art gallery.

Schelu Gallery owner Jensie Kessler discovered my pottery this year and was the biggest supporter of my art. Thank you Jensie it is an honor to sell in your beautiful Pottery Gallery.

Corrales June art show outdoors was lovely, AND I was famous for a day, pictures of my Nagiere's made it in the local west side papers which made sales soar.

Yeah, Harvest Fest I'm so glad Harvest Fest in Corrales is back I love the hay wagon rides and the wonderful family atmosphere Harvest Fest brings. Yeah Chip & Linda for putting the art back in the Library park. What a nice local venue. See you there next year for sure!

Placitas show Christmas at Clearlight was fun this year Pam Neas and I combined our booths to make one very large booth for selling and we both did fairly well selling our crafts. It was a little confusing for people who did not know us though who was the potter, who was the painter?

Clevland show was a bit of a bust, I have a theory here too, Albuquerque is a little crafted out, too many craft shows, close to 200 crafters at this show almost more crafters than buyers and every weekend Starting in October you can find a craft show the closer you get to December the crafty shows show up on every corner of the city. All the babyboomers retiring are looking to crafty venues to enrich their lives myself included!